Menu>>

Browse

Thank You!

A special thank you to the late Thomas William Riding, former managing director and chief executive of W & J Riding for 25 years, to whom this website is dedicated.

Over the years Tom was kind enough to supply a vast amount of detailed historical information along with many of the superb rare photographs featured and without his invaluable help and dedication this website would not have been possible.

The site now contains over 2500 images, complete with in depth details, all of which are accessible via the main menu & side menu (marked with the mobile menu icon of 3 lines on a mobile & tablet).

Leyland Albion Dodge (L.A.D.)

In 2015 the late Tom Riding recalled, in fine detail, the operation of the many L.A.D. vehicles that they operated in the fleet…..

“In a joint venture between Leyland, Albion & Dodge, which became known as L.A.D., the three companies shared the same type of cab all built by Motor Panels.

Unfortunately at this time the steel used must have been of a very low grade and as regards paint protection that was also very poor.

Within three to four years of service corrosion became rampant so we had to remove the cabs from the chassis’s and re-panel every single one that we operated.

The long door cab on the Beavers was also very prone to rust and we had to replace the floor supports underneath the floor which was a real time consuming exercise. 

There were numerous other problems on the early Beavers, far too many to list here, but Leyland managed to sort them all out in due course as they always did.

When the problems were solved Leyland would suddenly then stop production of the range and start again with another model range and the merry go round would repeat itself.

They did become good vehicles in the end, but were unfortunately, when unladen, were to heavy and the overall length at the time demanded that they were only an eight foot wheelbase which meant they could come round in a flash and jack-knife in slippery conditions.

The first Comets with the L.A.D. cab still had hydraulic brakes which could be a cause for concern when overloaded as they invariably were.

But when the 13c model came out with a full air brake system along with the 0/370 engine Leyland produced a really fine machine”.

The first L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet four wheeler to enter service with Riding’s was Reg No 640 GTF Fleet No 47 which was driven from new by Jesse Yeulett.

Purchased brand new on the 17th of November 1958 at a cost of £2,544 10s 5d, an equivalent to £65,516 in 2022, it was registered for road use on the 1st of December 1958 and after eleven years service was sold on to Bulcock Brothers of Whalley for £125 on the 28th June 1969.

Seen here parked in the depot at Longridge Reg No 640 GTF would go on to have a long and varied life at Riding’s eventually cut down and turned into a 4×2 tractor unit as can be seen in the following two pictures below.

Pictured here while parked up in Glasgow, with a load of Turner’s asbestos, is W & J Riding’s first L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet four wheeler Reg No 640 GTF Fleet No 47.

The late Tom Riding recalled….

“Purchased new in November 1958, 640 GTF was a good strong machine but it’s unladen weight was far to heavy so after a few years, during the onset of articulation, we decided to take it in to our own workshops at Longridge for some major surgery.

It was cut down and emerged as a very useful tractor unit for capacity loads as can be seen in this photograph below”.

Seen in the previous picture above, as a four wheeler flat, Leyland Super Comet Reg No 640 GTF Fleet No 47, was taken into W & J Riding’s own workshop at Longridge for some major surgery.

After being cut down it emerged as this very useful 4×2 tractor unit.

Fresh out of the paint shop a colour shot of former four wheeler L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet Reg No 640 GTF Fleet No 47 after being  reborn as a 4×2 tractor unit..

Pictured above, shortly after the rebuild, it is seen coupled to a four in line trailer loaded with a nice light capacity load of pipes.

After being in service with Riding’s for eleven years both as a four wheeler and as a tractor unit 640 GTF was sold on the 28th June 1969 to Bulcock Brothers of King Street Whalley for £125.

Seen here in Queensgate Motors (1954) Ltd livery L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 375 HTB Fleet No 48 had a Leyland O-375 engine in line with a five speed gearbox and Eaton 2 speed axle.

Purchased new in January 1959 it had a 25 foot platform body, was fitted with a 55 gallon fuel tank and a spare wheel carrier as was fitted to Leyland Beavers at the time.

The exhaust led to the offside of the cab and the batteries were moved from inside the cab to a rack fitted outside on the nearside chassis frame.

Driven from new by the late Fred Hesmondhalgh, another long time serving Riding’s driver, it averaged 12 m.p.g. and as an experiment ran with  10.00-20, 14 ply nylon tyres on the rear axle until it another axle was added in Riding’s own workshops.

It is pictured above in Glasgow loaded for it’s run South with asbestos pipes from Turners Asbestos factory at Dalmuir.

Note the special pipe racks Riding’s fitted to the bodies to safely transport the pipes.

Riding’s used a Mr David Vetters at that time on a commission basis to back load all their vehicles for the South which he did very successfully for quite a number of years.

Riding’s later opened a Scottish depot at Wishaw from were they worked directly for the British Steel Corporation at Motherwell.

Another shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet Reg No 375 HTB Fleet No 48 which was new addition to the ever growing fleet in January 1959.

When we scanned this picture back in 2014 the late Tom Riding recalled…

“I dare not tell you the weight of the tinned milk it was carrying at that time from Preston dock to the Co-op at Newcastle on Tyne but it would be fully loaded as if it were a six wheeler which it was soon to be as we later put the third axle on this one in our own workshops as can be seen in the picture below”. 

Seen in the previous picture above as a four wheeler, L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet Reg No 375 HTB Fleet No 48 is pictured on the left in the yard at Longridge after receiving its third axle to increase it’s carrying capacity.

Seen here with drums of Cereclor (chlorinated paraffin) from the ICI plant at Hillhouse Tom Riding had loaded the vehicle himself and then spent the time on the return journey to Longridge tuning the engine for maximum power.

On the right is L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet Reg No 200 KTE Fleet No 50.

Both in Queensgate Motors (1954) Ltd livery Jim Riding’s Queensgate Motors business ran as a separate company for a total of nine years from 1951 until 1962, at which time it was then wholly amalgamated into the W & J Riding business.    

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet 14SC/4R four wheeler Reg No 200 KTE Fleet No 51 is seen here in July 1959 when it was brand new carrying it’s first load of cigarettes to London, a nice light load for running in purposes.

The lovely young lady in the drivers seat is Tom Riding’s wife, Margaret.

Before Tom Riding sadly passed away in 2019 he recalled…..

“I sometimes think the Super Comet could have been the big attraction.

In 1962 York trailers added a third axle (see below) which gave it a much greater payload and it then went on Darlington change over trunk mainly hauling sugar for Tate & Lyle.

The vehicle was very stable and the brakes were superb so you could make the time up downhill what you lost climbing”.

Photograph courtesy John Dickson-Simpson, a life long personal friend of Tom Riding.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Super Comet Reg No 200 KTE Fleet No 50 was registered new in 1959 originally as a four wheeler.  (see picture above this one).

After undergoing surgery in 1962, at York Trailers, it emerged sporting a trailing third axle which increased it’s carrying capacity and was duly assigned to the Darlington change over trunk, mainly hauling heavy loads of sugar for Tate & Lyle.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet CS3/3R four wheeler Reg No 950 LTD Fleet No 52 was powered by a Leyland 350 engine in line with a five speed gearbox and 2 speed axle.

Registered new on the 1st of September 1959 it was driven by the late Jack Draper who drove for Riding’s all his working life.

It is seen here parked in Glasgow loaded with Turners Asbestos pipes while Jack was waiting for his delivery notes before proceeding South.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No 140 WTC Fleet No 59, (Chassis No 611995) powered by a 600 power plus engine, was purchased new on the 17th of August 1961 at a cost of £2,711, an equivalent to £74,314 in 2023.

Originally in Queensgate Motors (1954) Ltd livery, until Queensgate was wholly amalgamated into the W & J Riding business in 1962, it remained in service until the 30th of September 1970 after which time it was sold on to Bulcock Brothers King Street Whalley for the sum of £450. 

 

The late Tom Riding recalled…..

“Our driver, Ronny Bland, is seen here at Liverpool Docks unloading sacks on to pallets single-handedly which was the norm at that time.

When we bought our first tractor unit, a Comet /Scammell Reg No 700 KTE, i persuaded Ronny into driving it as none of our other drivers were interested.

We sold 700 KTE after a relatively short time but it had demonstrated the many advantages of articulation and our first L.A.D. Beaver 4×2 tractor unit, pictured above, was his reward for being the guinea pig.

Notice the large mirrors we fitted to all the L.A.D.s in place of the useless ones that were fitted as original equipment”.,

Another shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No 140 WTC Fleet No 59.

Registered new on the 1st of Oct 1961 at a cost of £2,711 it was the first L.A.D. Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit to join the Riding fleet.

It is pictured here coupled up to a fully loaded tandem axle trailer in the depot at Longridge.

Still running in Queensgate Motors livery it would later be taken into the paint shop in 1962  and given the W & J Riding livery when Queensgate was amalgamated into the W & J Riding  business, as can be seen in the winters picture below.

After being repainted into W & J Riding livery L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No 140 WTC Fleet No 59 is seen here in the snow and ice at Oaks Bar where the Longridge road joins the A59 about five miles from the depot.

The late Tom Riding recalled…..

“The road was so ice bound that the whole outfit spun to a stand still and slipped broadside to the curb blocking the road completely. 

Ken Moon, who went on to serve our company for 41 years was the driver of 140 WTC at the time while long serving driver the late Fred Wolstenholm, aka Shorty, is the man stood by the cab door offering whatever advice he could.

No road salt was available in the vicinity so Ken & Fred knocked on the house opposite, borrowed their dustbin and used the ashes out of it to get some traction and get the vehicle moving again..”

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4X2 tractor unit Reg No 170 XTJ Fleet No 50, purchased new from Leyland Motors Ltd in December 1961 at a cost of £2890, is seen at rest next to the gate in the depot at Longridge.

As was expected from Riding’s experienced drivers in those days this was a superb example of the almost dead art of roping & sheeting.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Octopus Reg No 860 WTE Fleet No 16 was purchased brand new direct from Leyland Motors in August 1961.

The chassis cab weighed as much as a 24 04 Octopus with a body on so it was immediately sent back and the massive double drive bogie was removed reverting it back to single drive.

 All the 16 ply Dunlop textile tyres were changed and replaced with Michelin X bringing the weight down to a more acceptable level, however, it used to break the spring eyes off the rear springs which pulled the brake rods on.

After been in service for six years it was decided in April 1967 that it would be rebuilt and was converted into a 4×2 tractor unit.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Octopus Reg No 860 WTE Fleet No 16 seen here parked out side the depot on Whitingham Road in April 1967.

With it’s flat body removed along with front bumper it was about to have the cab removed and cut down over the following week in Riding’s own workshops where it was converted into the 4×2 tractor unit seen in the picture below. 

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice that a ‘Beaver’ badge has already been fixed to the front near side of the cab along with a new illuminated headboard. 

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Octopus Reg No 860 WTE was totally rebuilt and re-registered on the 19th of May 1967 to re-emerge as this 4×2 tractor unit Reg No ATC 350E Fleet No 16.

 In 2018 the late Tom Riding recalled….

“Two new Beaver chassis sides were bought and the Octopus metamorphosed into a 14B/17R Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit and we also took the opportunity during the rebuild to slip into it a 680 Power Plus engine.

It is seen here shortly after the conversion with 20 tons of double deck pallets of Corvic from the ICI plant at Hillhouse destined for Birtley in County Durham

After the conversion we ran it for four years then sold it on to C.W. Twist of Halewood on the 29th of November 1971 for the sum of £800″.

The most notable part of this picture isn’t the L.A.D. cabbed Power Plus Beaver Reg No 3800 TD Fleet No 26 (Chassis No 621771) it’s more to do with the trailer that it is coupled up to.

Riding’s first articulated tractor unit (using a fifth-wheel coupling) was a Leyland Comet which had originally been specified with a Scammell coupling.

It was modified at Crane’s of Dereham in Norfolk, who (after becoming Crane Fruehauf) were the source of the vast majority of Riding’s trailers – the first two being brought home by Tom Riding himself with the company’s sole AEC Mercury tractor unit.

It’s something of a surprise therefore to see a Boden platform trailer coupled to 3800 TD while parked up at the depot in Longridge.

As for L.A.D. cabbed Power Plus Beaver Reg No 3800 TD Fleet No 26 (Chassis No 621771) it was purchased new direct from Leyland Motors Ltd on the 21st of June 1962 at a cost of £2,680 1s and remained in service for eight years until the 6th of June 1970 when it was sold on to Bulcock Brothers of King Street Whalley for the sum of £500.  

L.A.D. cabbed Power Plus Beaver 4X2 tractor unit Reg No 5610 TD Fleet No 27 was registered new on the 1st of August 1962 at a cost of £2,652, an equivalent to £49,000 in 2017.

It is seen here on the Leyland stand at the Royal Lancashire show in 1962 and was delivered new as a 24 ton GVW tractor but when the legislation changed three years later in 1965 Riding’s fitted it with the Leyland Service conversion kit SC1102 and it was lifted to 32 GVW at very small cost.

After Leyland had ironed out all the problems on these models they eventually turned out to give a very good account of themselves.

The late Fred Wolstenholm Snr was its driver from new who worked at Riding’s all of his life.

In August 1971 at the end of it’s working life in the Riding fleet 5610 TD was sold on to B McGowan of Preston.

Pictured here parked up on the streets of Liverpool while waiting to load at Tate & Lyle is. L.A.D. cabbed Power Plus Beaver 4X2 tractor unit Reg No 5610 TD Fleet No 27 (Chassis No 621698) which was registered new by Riding’s on the 1st of August 1962 at a cost of £2,652.

Driven from new by Fred Wolstenholm Snr it came supplied as a 24 ton gross weight 4×2 tractor unit but when the legislation changed in 1965 Riding’s fitted it with Leyland Service conversion No SC 1102 which involved fitting a third line braking system thus raising the gross vehicle weight to 32 tons.

The trailer is a 27 foot tandem axle Boden of which Riding’s had several.

Instead of the standard full depth frame, which Boden’s used, Riding’s used a Rubery Owen dropped neck frame similar to the one used by Bristol’s.

Doing it this way allowed the use of full width cross members for the floor which Riding’s considered far better.

In August 1971, at the end of it’s working life in the Riding fleet, Reg No 5610 TD was sold on to B. McGowan of Preston.

Pictured here is Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 51 NHN Fleet No 17.. 

Registered new in December 1959 this was the first of seven brand new Comets allocated to the Metcalfe fleet in Darlington.

Parked up in Longridge depot loaded with an ACCS container, long before the arrival of twist locks to secure them, it was driven from new by the late Bob Allen who was a Darlington man.

Back in 2016 the late Tom Riding recalled….

“In 1963 we bought the company William Metcalfe of Darlington with its seven ‘A’ licenses from Allisons Freightlines of Dundee.

They were using seven AEC vacuum braked Mercury’s on the job and they didn’t want to sell them and we didn’t want to buy them so it worked out perfectly.

This was one of the seven new Leyland Comets we put on the job, note the Darlington registration.

The specification was Leyland 350 engine in line with a six speed gearbox and Albion hub reduction rear axle.

Handy machine but unfortunately a bit short of stopping power”.

A side shot of Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 51 NHN Fleet No 17 driven in this instance by Alan Hall who at the time was the brother in law of the photographer.  

Pictured here on Little Lane Longridge it is loaded with packs of sugar from Tate and Lyle on it’s way to the North East.

Photograph courtesy of John Atkinson.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 233 NHN Fleet No 19 was another brand new addition to the fleet in December 1959.

Along with seven other Leyland Comets four wheeler’s it was based in Darlington after W & J Riding had bought the company William Metcalfe of Darlington with its seven ‘A’ licenses from Allisons Freightlines of Dundee.

Another one of seven Comet’s to enter service in 1959/60 was L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet Reg No 451 NHN Fleet No 22 which was registered new in January 1960.

Riding’s ran quite a few Super Comets which proved to be too heavy as four wheeler’s and were subsequently up rated with trailing axles to boost their payload.

Being little breathless with the increased weight, their fuel pumps were tweaked until ‘just on the smoke’ to keep them moving on.

Another shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet Reg No 451 NHN Fleet No 22.

Registered new in January 1960 it is seen here parked outside Riding’s garage on Whittingham Road at Longridge after being in service for while and looking a little worse for wear.

It’s front bumper has had to be removed for repair which was a common occurrence back in the day.

Registered new in January 1960 L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 591 NHN Fleet No 23 is seen here parked in Longridge with a well sheeted and roped load.

Out based at Darlington this was the last of seven brand new Leyland Comet’s to be allocated to the William Metcalfe fleet.

 

It is pictured above a month after being rebuilt following an accident when it ran into the rear of one of Riding’s own articulated trailers the aftermath of which can be seen here  >

A larger picture showing the damaged vehicle and more details of the accident can be found in the Accidents Happen section of the site.

 

A colour shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet 12c four wheeler Reg No 5200 TJ Fleet No 32 pictured here on the Leyland stand at the 1963 Royal Lancashire Agricultural show at Stanley Park Blackpool when it was brand new.

Powered by the reliable Leyland 370 engine it had full air brakes along with an Eaton 2 speed axle L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 5200 TJ Fleet No 32 (Chassis No L11304) was purchased new direct from Leyland Motors Ltd on the 26th of June 1963 at a cost of £1,860 16s 3d.

It remained in service for six years until the 30th of September 1969 when it was sold on to John Proctor & Sons Corn Millers of Goosnargh for the sum of £625.

Another photograph taken in July 1963 at the Royal Lancashire Show in Stanley Park Blackpool where Leyland Comet four wheeler, Reg No 5200 TJ Fleet No 32, is pictured on the Leyland Motors stand.

After appearing on the Leyland stand at the 1963 Royal Lancashire Show in Stanley Park Blackpool Leyland Comet four wheeler, Reg No 5200 TJ Fleet No 32 (Chassis No L11304) is pictured here shortly after arriving at Longridge depot in 1953 to commence work in the fleet. 

It remained in service for six years until the 30th of September 1969 when it was sold on to John Proctor & Sons Corn Millers of Goosnargh for the sum of £625.

Pictured here parked in the depot at Longridge this smart looking 1963 L.A.D. cabbed (240.14R model) Leyland Octopus, Reg No 6729 TJ, was on loan as a demonstrator to W & J Riding in the Spring of 1963 from Leyland Motors Ltd who at the time were promoting their new ‘Low-Weight Octopus’.
 
Powered by a Power-Plus 0.600 140-b.h.p. engine the load space behind the cab was 24 ft. 6 in and this latest model had an unladen weight of just under 6 tons 15 cwt which was half a ton less than the lightest model in the Power-Plus Octopus range which had been introduced three years earlier in 1960.
 
The weight reduction was achieved by using a lighter rear bogie, light-alloy clutch and gearbox housings and air compressor, and the Leyland plastics-panelled cab.

As with the heavier models, brakes were fitted to the first, third and fourth axles only, these being air operated and affording a total frictional area of 1,002 sq. in. while the single-pull handbrake was also air assisted.

While on demonstration Jim Riding, who took the photograph, made sure that he made the most of having a demo vehicle in the fleet and put it to good use with maximum capacity loads to and from the North East, as can be seen in the picture above, with this well sheeted and roped load ready for the road.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler’s Reg No’s 6350 TF Fleet No 30 and 5200 TJ Fleet No 32 were both brand new additions to the Riding fleet in 1963.

The late Tom Riding recalled……

“I think the Leyland Comet was the hardest worked wagon in the industry both these pictured were constantly loaded with 10 tons and were able to work hard and fast.

Both of these two 12c models had full air brakes and the brilliant 370 engine installed”.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 5200 TJ Fleet No 32 (Chassis No L11304) pictured on the right was purchased new direct from Leyland Motors Ltd on the 26th of June 1963 at a cost of £1,860 16s 3d.

It remained in service for six years until the 30th of September 1969 when it was sold on to John Proctor & Sons Corn Millers of Goosnargh for the sum of £625.

Detailed information regarding Reg No 6350 TF below…….

 

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No 6350 TF Fleet No 30 (Chassis No L10632) was purchased new direct from Leyland Motors Ltd on the 23rd of April 1963 at a cost of £1860 16s 3d 

Seen here in the depot at Longridge this 12C model was powered by a Leyland 370 engine, had an Eaton two speed axle along with a full air brake system.

After six years service it was sold on to a Mr H Winder 15 Cannon Hill Preston on the 4th of November 1969 for the sum of £375.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No ATD 320A Fleet No 39 (Chassis No L02854) was purchased new direct from Leyland Motors Ltd on the 25th of October 1963 at a cost of £2,782 15s 3d. which is the equivalent value of £70,223 in 2024.

Driven from new by Jesse Yeulett, who was another of Riding’s long term serving drivers, he had previously driven the company’s first Leyland Super Comet.

ATD 320A is pictured here with a 20 ton load of palletised corvic from Hillhouse for onward delivery to the North East.

At the time this was Riding’s standard fleet purchase which consisted of a 600 Power plus engine, 7 speed gearbox with splitter on the lay shaft, this split all gears accept for the direct top gear, while a big hub reduction axle completed the drive line.

After being in service with Riding’s for eight years at the end of it’s working life ATD 320A was sold on the 28th August 1971 to a Mr James Cook of Warrington for £750.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland 600 Power Plus Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No ETD 650B Fleet No 11 was registered new on the 20th of April 1964 at a cost of £2,804. which is the equivalent to £69,874 in 2023.

Driven from new by Reg Armstrong it came supplied as a 24 ton gross weight 4×2 tractor unit but when the legislation changed in 1965 Riding’s fitted it with Leyland Service conversion No SC 1102 which involved fitting a third line braking system thus raising the gross vehicle weight to 32 tons.

It is pictured here in the yard at Longridge coupled to a 26 foot Boden tandem axle trailer with 20 tons of ICI Corvic on board.

After eight years service with Riding’s ETD 650B was sold on to Walter Southworth of Rufford on the 30th of June 1972 for £800, an equivalent to £8,950 in 2017.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet model 13c four wheeler Reg No ETE 979B Fleet No 43 (Chassis No L31164) was purchased brand new by Riding’s from Leyland Comet franchised dealer H. Woodward & Son Ltd of Formby on the 22nd of April 1964 at a cost of £1,872 17s and 6p.

It is pictured here in 1965 while parked in Liverpool just off the Dock Road in this great period shot which features a cobbled street, gas lamp plus a variety of old vehicles parked further down the street.

Another shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet model 13c four wheeler Reg No ETE 979B Fleet No 43 seen here loaded with ten Plas Bins from the ICI plant at Wilton on Teesside.

A final shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet model 13c four wheeler Reg No ETE 979B Fleet No 43 which was purchased brand new by Riding’s on the 7th of May 1964 at a cost of £1,872 17s and 6p.

In this rare shot, taken in 1969 when it was five years old at the Longridge Field Day parade, ETE 979B had just been repainted in an experimental livery along with a Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit that Riding’s decided not to adopt.  

Fitted with the reliable Leyland 370 engine it had seven years successful service with W & J Riding until it was sold on to Smalley Timber Merchants of Clitheroe for the sum of £525 on the 1st of February 1971.  

Pictured just off the Dock Road in Liverpool L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No HTC 990B Fleet No 10 (Chassis No L 23152) was purchased new by Riding’s on the 17th of September 1964 at a cost of £2784 7s 6d.

Supplied direct from Leyland Motors Ltd with a O.600 Power Plus-engine it was uprated in house by Riding’s themselves with an O.680 power plant and also fitted with heavier type springs and three line air brakes.

Unfortunately it later came to grief when just seven months old in an accident on the A59 at Blubberhouses on the 18th of April 1965 during the Easter weekend, as can be seen in the Accidents Happen section, but was rebuilt and back on the road within a month.

After seven years service Reg No HTC 990B was sold on the 12th of June 1971 to a Mr R. Tilling of Pilots Cottage Grange Lane Longton Nr Preston for the sum of £750

 

This L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit, Reg No MTJ 440C Fleet No 5, (Chassis No L41034) was right on the cusp of the change from the L.A.D. cabbed to the Ergomatic tilt cabbed ranges in 1965.

Being the last L.A.D. Leyland to enter service with Riding’s it was purchased from Leyland agents Gilbraiths on the 6th of April 1965 at a discounted cost of £2,810 and registered for road use on the 11th of May 1965,

Originally driven from new by Dick Walton on the Teesside trunk it is pictured here coupled to one of Riding’s four in line Crane Fruehauf 25 foot trailers capable of carrying a 16 ton payload.

In later life it ran between ICI Wilton and ICI Kilroot in Northern Ireland when it was involved in an accident in 1968.

After being rebuilt it was then repainted in an experimental livery as can be seen in the photograph below.

After a total of six years service MTJ 440C was sold on the 12th of June 1971 to a Mr Rudge of Bamford Rochdale for the sum of £750.

L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No MTJ 440C Fleet No 5 had a 600 Power Plus engine and was a new addition to the fleet in 1965 at a cost of £2,810.

Following an accident in 1968 it was rebuilt and turned out to be the only L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver in the fleet to be painted, along with L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Comet four wheeler Reg No ETE 979B, in this experimental livery which, after much deliberation, Riding’s decided not to adopt.

After a total of six years service MTJ 440C was sold on the 12th of June 1971 to a Mr Rudge of Bamford Rochdale for the sum of £750.

Another shot of L.A.D. cabbed Leyland Beaver 4×2 tractor unit Reg No MTJ 440C Fleet No 5 this time seen coupled up to a Crane-Fruehauf 1450 cubic foot non tipping powder tanker.

Painted in this experimental livery, which Riding’s decided not to adopt, it was normally used on the general haulage fleet and did not normally haul tankers. 

Three years after this picture was taken MTJ 440C was sold on the 12th of June 1971 to a Mr Rudge of Bamford Rochdale for the sum of £750.